Summer – Second Session 2022 Adult Learn to Sail Class (Sold Out)
2022 Adult Learn to Sail
SUMMER SESSION – Wednesdays at 6:30 P.M. (Please arrive early)
Orientation Sail: August 3rd
August 10 , 2022
August 17, 2022
August 24, 2022
August 31, 2022
September 7, 2022
$490 per person includes: books, boat charter and Insurance fees.
*Class limited to (3) three Students per boat. 24 Max participants. Wait list for 25 or more.
*You will need to bring a life jacket, light soled shoes or non-marking shoes.
- Bayview’s Adult-Learn-to-Sail program is designed for people with little to no knowledge of sailing. But classes can accommodate new sailors with a little experience.
- Our students are most often “working professionals” from around metro Detroit. They have ranged in age from early 20s to late 60s.
- Sessions run from 6 to 8 p.m., one night a week for six weeks. A second class session may be added depending on demand.
- The sessions include classroom and dockside lectures/discussions. We cover parts of the boat, rigging, points of sail, observing conditions, communication, maneuvers, knot tying, and other topics.
- Most of the time is spent on the Detroit River in sight of the Club.
- We have a maximum of three students with one instructor on the Club’s Ultimate 20 sailboats. The students rotate through all the positions on the boat, so yes, everyone learns to steer.
- We have at least one person in a safety boat – one of the Club skiffs. In case of breakdowns or people overboard, the boat is always nearby.
- Students are required to have their own life jackets and appropriate shoes. Bayview provides books, currently US Sailing’s “Learn Sailing Right.”
- Instructors are usually Bayview members and they are chosen for their abilities to teach, communicate, sail, and help connect the students with additional sailing opportunities.
- In addition to sailing on the Ultimate 20s, we have taken students on “big boats,” including Great Lakes 70s.
- While enrolled in the class, students will have a “guest membership” at Bayview allowing them access to the dining room and bar. All charges incurred must be paid by credit card at the time of service.
- Students are encouraged to participate in the “hitchhiker” program which is a highly successful effort to connect non-members with boats in Bayview’s Thursday night race series.
Out of stock